Mark is a photographer based in South Buckinghamshire, near London UK. His photography is largely focussed on 'constructive' stories about people and groups taking action to address societal problems; current emphasis is on the environment and sustainability.
He originally studied engineering, has a PhD from the University of Cambridge and researched innovation and social ecosystems. That research informs his current projects. His work has been published in various newspapers and magazines and at exhibitions in UK and in Europe.
Largely self-taught, he is a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society (FRPS) and has completed a number of short courses and Magnum documentary workshops. He is currently Chair of the Documentary Group of the Royal Photographic Society.
Awards and Competitions:
- 2020 - Siena International Photo Awards - winner Remarkable Artwork Storyboard
- 2020 - Urban 2020, DotART, Trieste - finalist and exhibition
- 2019 - Shutter Hub Street / Form - selected and exhibition
- 2018 - Shortlisted - RPS IPE161
- 2018 - Sony World Photography Awards 2018 - commended
- 2018 - Life Framer - An Instant - winner
- 2017 - Shortlisted - RPS IPE160
- 2017 - Magnum Swap Shop - winner
- 2017 - RPS Biennial Exhibition - selected and exhibition
- 2016 - London Salon - selected and exhibition
- 2015 - RPS Documentary Photographer of the Year - overall winner and exhibition
- 2013 - RPS Documentary Photographer of the Year - runner up
- 2019 - Mini exhibition at Makespace, Oxford
- 2019 - Sustainable Innovation, UCA
Group Exhibitions and Events:
- 2020 - Urban 2020, dotArt, Trieste, Italy- a world apart; they are the same
- 2019 - PhotoForum, London (talk)
- 2019 - ShutterHub Street / form, Rotterdam
- 2018 - Sony World Photography Awards, London
- 2017 - PhotoScratch, London - project preview of Reparaçion
- 2017 - Magnum Swap Shop - thePrintSpace, London
- 2017 - RPS Biennial Exhibition - on tour, various UK locations
- 2016 - The London Salon - on tour, various UK locations
- 2016 - Annual Exhibition, Amersham Photographic Society
- 2015 - RPS Documentary Photographer of the Year, London
Publications and Media:
- 2021 - ITV London News - London, let's fix laptops for lockdown - 15 Jan
- 2021 - Daily Mirror -Charities forced to plug school laptop shortage gap so pupils are not left without - 12 Jan
- 2020 - The Times - Young are learning to repair gadgets to save the environment and cut waste - 1 Dec
- 2020 - URBAN unveils the City and its secrets - Vol. 06
- 2020 - Evening Standard - DIY community tech projects helping Londoners make gadgets last longer and cut e-waste - 28 Sep
- 2020 - BBC News / Radio 5 Live - Can we fix our way out of the growing e-waste problem?
- 2019 - BJP Online - STREET / FORM Review - 6 Sep
- 2019 - La Repubblica, Italy - "The right to repair at Climate Strike, Berlin"
- 2019 - The Big Issue -"Restart Parties: the groups fighting throwaway culture"
- 2019 - RPS Decisive Moment Issue 14 - Unbroken
- 2018 - the i (Independent) Newspaper, print and online - Inside the repair workshops that are teaching the nation to fix instead of replace
- 2017 - Digital Camera - June 2017 - Hot Shots
- 2016 - The Comfort of Shadows - self published